- α-GPC has been shown to promote long-term brain health as well as attention and memory.
- L-Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (α-GPC) is a natural choline compound made up of choline and glycerophosphate.α-GPC rapidly delivers choline across the blood-brain barrier and is a precursor of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is associated with memory and learning.
- α-GPC is readily absorbed through oral intake to form free choline. It is able to increase both dopamine and serotonin concentrations in the frontal cortex and cerebellum.
- It has also been researched for its potential to remediate poor cognition as a result of stroke or neurodegeneration.
- α-GPC is approved as a dietary supplement component under provisions of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. It is classified as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) according to FDA standards.